1. Quick intro…Who are you?
Richard Stephenson, author of "Collapse," my debut novel. I have worked in law enforcement for sixteen years and live in Southeast Texas.
2. What first inspired you to start writing?
Honestly? A really, really bad book. I love pretty much all of the end of the world, apocalyptic fiction. What I am constantly looking for is a book grounded in reality, nothing to do with zombies, alien invasion, nuclear war, etc. I finally found a book that met that description and I was excited to read it. The book was just plain awful. I thought to myself "I bet I could write a book better than this" so I gave it a shot and here we are.
3. Do you find it difficult being an indie author when so many others are also now doing it?
Not at all. I think that indies are a very supportive group of people. We all help each other out and promote each other's work.
4. What keeps you writing?
It's my passion. I absolutely love doing it. Getting paid to do it is just one of the benefits.
5. Why do you write?
I have a mind that races in a dozen different directions at once. I can never seem to slow my mind down, even at night, which explains my chronic insomnia. Writing is the only thing that allows me to focus 100% of my mind on one thing. It's very therapeutic.
6. What are your favourite 3 songs ever?
Delicate by Damien Rice. Hey Jude by The Beatles. Rock 'N Roll by Eric Hutchinson
7. Do you have to plan to write or are you constantly jotting ideas and lines down?
I only write when the spirit moves me. I try not to set solid deadlines ... "I have to write X amount of words or pages every day for the next few weeks to stay on schedule." That takes the fun out of it for me. I have to be inspired to write, I never force it. I can write non-stop for days and then not write a word for a couple of weeks.
8. What do you think it takes to stand out from the indie author crowd?
One thing - advertising. You can write a brilliant masterpiece, but if no one knows about it, no one will read it.
9. What is the ultimate goal you hope to achieve with your writing?
Being on the New York Times Best Seller List.
10. What would ‘living the dream’ be to you?
To make enough money from writing to do it full time.
11. Who would you most like to read your work (a hero/idol)?
12. What is your favourite book?
The Stand by Stephen King.
13. What’s the least favourite book you’ve read?
I've never finished a book that would be categorized as "least favorite." If I can't get into it at the 25% mark, I stop reading.
14. Do you only write one specific genre or are you multi-talented?
For now, one genre - Dystopian Thriller.
15. How did you come up with the title for your first book?
It was pretty easy. "Collapse" can pretty much be a one word description for what the book is about.
16. If you had to live without ever reading OR writing again, which would you choose and why?
Writing. I actually don't read as many books as one might think.
17. How do you find the promotional aspect of being an indie author?
Challenging and exhausting. You have to build a momentum and keep it going. If you don't, the train will derail and it is a lot of hard work to get it going again. On Amazon, I've gone from 1200 to 20K on ranking in less than a month. I slacked off that month and it showed.
18. What is your preferred genre to read?
End of the World/Dystopian/Apocalyptic
19. Give us a random fact about yourself.
I've never watched "The Sound of Music"
20. As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up and what are you actually doing now?
It would surprise many, but I wanted to be a Minister.
21. List your websites, blog, Facebook, Twitter and the links to your books or author page on Amazon and any upcoming promotional days.
Collapse will be free April 9th to April 13th on Amazon